Saturday, October 12, 2013

Collaboration With Technology Continued


Previously, I talked about my learning curve regarding technology in the work place, specifically, “Google Docs” and “Wikis.”  I also hinted at two different work projects, utilizing each type of technology in order to experiment and share this experience with others.  Today I would like to follow up with the results of those projects and what I learned.

The “Google Docs” Project
This project entailed a multi-page document and a small, editing committee of four people.  The parameters of the document included a three-year cycle, progress monitoring throughout the year, reviewing at the end of each year, and tweaking prior to beginning the following year.  Each year’s information builds upon the previous year.  As one person described it - a “living document.”  The significance of using “Google Docs” was in the editing process.  We had four computers going at once with each person editing a different section simultaneously.  Furthermore, future editing just became much easier and the document will always be current.
Comments from the committee:

Definitely use this (process) again.  It will make progress monitoring and tweaking so much easier!

I’m thinking already of possible projects for my fourth grade students.

What happens if you don’t like how someone else edits? 

My response:  Choose your committee wisely.

The “Wiki Project”
I had mentioned previously that I am planning a book club with another colleague which includes presentations to our faculty.  We are part way through the book club and I have to admit the “Wiki” is working out quite well.  First, since time is a challenge for us to meet, planning can be done through the “Wiki” with a place for comments or questions by either one of us.  One of the real bonuses though is that the “Wiki” is easily accessible and can never be lost (like all those loose papers we tend to carry or notebooks we tend to place somewhere among the piles of papers).  My colleague who is not a “techie” likes the fact that all you do is edit and save – so easy!

 My Preference?
The jury is still out on this.  The positive:  less emails with attachments, fewer meetings, and  always current.  Yet on both I experienced some quirks: compatibility between computers/software since one document was started in a different mode and understanding how all the editing works with “Wiki.” Would I use either one again?  Definitely!  Unless someone has another suggestion….

Finally,
Passing on an excellent blog I stumbled across:

http://readingbyexample.com/  by Matt Renwick, Elementary Principal in Wisconsin
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment